Green Park stabbing: Witness feared being ‘hacked to death in machete attack’


A passenger on a Tube train in London has reportedly been stabbed in a machete attack.

Officers from British Transport Police were called to Green Park station in central London, on Friday just before 7pm following reports of a knife attack.

The victim has been rushed to hospital and the station was evacuated and closed.

A man has been arrested and it is thought a weapon has been seized.

Video footage shared on social media shows police officers holding a handcuffed man.

The busy station served by Jubilee, Piccadilly and Victoria line trains is less than a mile from Buckingham Palace.

British Transport Police tweeted: “We are currently in attendance at #GreenPark Underground station following reports of a stabbing on-board a Jubilee Line service.

“Specialist officers have been deployed and the station remains closed while they attend. One person has been arrested in connection.”

Supt Mark Lawrie from BTP tweeted: “Due to an incident at #greenpark the station was closed but will be reopened imminently. Victim being cared for at hospital.

“No officers injured, weapon recovered.”

“Armed police at #greenpark station… Everyone evacuated!,” a passenger tweeted.

A witness said she saw the victim being attacked with a “foot-long machete” describing it as a “terrifying moment”.

The passenger in his 30s, who was among those trapped in a carriage with the attacker, said he feared he would be “hacked to death underground”.

The witness, who did not want to be named, said: “All of a sudden there was a huge commotion.

“A man stood in the middle of the carriage and brandished a foot-long black machete.

“People started screaming, there was a stampede to the front carriage – people got trampled on and pushed into the plastic and stuff.”

The witness said he moved into the next carriage away from the attacker, adding that the victim had a wound on his head which he described as “a deep gash meaning the side of his head was hanging off”.

He added that the driver was unaware of anything happening for 10 minutes because the intercom was not working, and passengers were left defenceless on the moving Tube as the attacker “taunted” them.

“The attacker went back down the train. We heard screaming but we don’t know what happened,” he said.

“He then came back and stood at the opposite end of the carriage taunting us and making out he was going to break down the door of the carriage.

“It was completely and utterly terrifying. For about 10 minutes I genuinely thought I would be hacked to death underground.

“However, people showed compassion and care to each other – people held other’s hands, and a teenage boy saved his mum from being trampled.”

The witness said the Tube train eventually stopped and armed police arrested the attacker, who did not resist them.

BTP said a man has been arrested on suspicion of inflicting grievous bodily harm, and that Green Park station has been closed.